Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Brownie ♥



Brownie? It is hard saying no to that word. Simple things like brownies, I take them for granted and forget to stop to think where they actually came from; Who published the first ever recipe and who made the name ‘brownie’ stick?
Well, I took the time to look into it this time and here it goes:
“The brownie first appeared in public during the 1893 Columbian Exposition, held in ChicagoIllinois. A chef at the city's Palmer House Hotel created the confection after Bertha Palmer requested a dessert for ladies attending the fair; it should be, she said, smaller than a piece of cake and easily eaten from boxed lunches. These first brownies featured an apricot glaze and walnuts, and they are still being made at the hotel according to the original recipe.”
“Smaller than a piece of cake
and easily eaten from boxed lunches”
Mmmm, you could choose any ingreadients and flavours for those instructions. Why chocolate then? Well, that’s a pretty easy question to answer…EVERYONE loves chocolate!!!

Anyways. I’ve tried my fair share of brownie recipes (although I have no posts to prove this, sorry:/) and I am still searching for that ideal recipe. My inspiration for this recipe and blog post comes from a good friend in the US of A, whom I know appreciates my baking passion, although I haven’ even had the chance to bake anything for him yet! (Thanks Garrett J) I promised I would send him my famous banana bread via mail one of these days, although I doubt the smell of that scrumptious baking treat would make it past US customs!

Now on to this recipe. Garrett described it as ‘absolutely amazing’ and I must say, I 100% agree! The texture is gooey, chocolately and almost a bit sticky. I love it. I have added a second brownie recipe below as well that I have previously tried a few times with great success. If you want to indulge  in a little baking day and make a number of chocolate lovers VERY happy, I suggest you simply try them both!
Tip? The brownies are best if you let them sit in the fridge over night! Also, use good quality chocolate. I used Cadbury's, which was yummy but you can even make the more amazing with better chocolate. 

The Death by Chocolate Brownie
3/4 cup dark cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup melted butter
Mix together and slowly add 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir until thickened, let cool a bit but not too cool
Then stir in:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs whipped with cream or half and half about 1/3 cup
1/3 cup canola oil
Keep stirring and add:
1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
½ cup grated bakers dark chocolate
½ cup milk chocolate chips 
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 
Stir well, consistency should be somewhat thick but smooth, if it’s too dry, add a little water at a time, if too wet try flour with dark chocolate.
Blend well do not use a mixer—spray glass baking pan (9x13inch) lightly with PAM (butter/oil spray) and bake at 350 °F (175 C) (if you’re oven runs hot, bake at 325°F (163 C)) for about 35 minutes, take it out when knife inserted in center is still slightly covered with mixture but not runny.  Optional --When cooled, sprinkle about ½ cup grated bakers dark & white chocolate on top.

The Fudge Brownie (check out the recipe site here)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan

2) In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly, just until it's hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling; it'll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
3) While the sugar heats a second time, crack the 4 eggs into a bowl, and beat them with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla till smooth.
4) Add the hot butter/sugar mixture, stirring until smooth.
5) Add the flour and chips, again stirring until smooth. Note: If you want the chips to remain intact in the baked brownies, rather than melting in, let the batter cool in the bowl for about 20 minutes before stirring in the chips.

6) Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan.

7) Bake the brownies for about 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it. The brownies should feel set on the edges, and the center should look very moist, but not uncooked. Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack before cutting and serving.

4 comments:

Rob Roy said...

"1893 Columbian Exposition" has now become my favourite period in history!!! Thanks for the brownies fella's!
Hopefully some make their way into my lunchbox next week ;) x

Baked In Love said...

These brownies were so good that I am making them again on Friday. Lunchbox...check :)

AtlYankeeBelle said...

Hey Stella

Im not sure if you remember me. My name is Bridget, we went to STJ in belgium together. I was friends with Jemma. I think we might have been on the swim team together.

Congrats on your 1st half marathon!

Baked In Love said...

Bridget!
Of course I remember you. I just didnt realise you were behind the Yankee Belle blog :) Keep sharing your experiences! Hope you're well and let me know if you try any of my recipes. If so take pictures. I want to make a facebook page where friends can upload their pictures of tried recipes they've gotten from Baked In Love :)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio