Wednesday, December 15, 2010

THE Pudding: Peppermint Crisp Tart

I have lived in Cape Town for a year now and only a few weeks ago did I find out about this infamous Peppermint Crisp Tart! Apparently (apart from the Milk Tart), it is the most famous South African dessert and it tastes amazing! How have I not heart of this!?



It may partly have something to do with the fact that also only a few weeks ago was I told what a pudding is in this country. Mention the word pudding and I think of the firm vanilla or chocolate custard that you eat with a spoon. You mention the word pudding in this country, however, and South Africans think dessert.

Pudding means dessert! A cheesecake is a pudding, chocolate mousse is a pudding and an apple pie is a pudding.

Personally,  I think the word pudding is adorable and have now find a way to use the word more often!



Anyhow, back to the Peppermint Crisp Tart. It is so easy to make. You need a few South African ingredients to replicate it exactly (so run to your nearest SA food retailer, if you know of one) but can also use substitutes, which I have included in the recipe.

Go ahead. Try it. You will love it and so will everyone else around you! It is a keeper in my books.

As the South Africans say…it is LEKKER!


Ingredients: (You can also halve the ingredients for a smaller dish)

4 packets of Tennis biscuits (can use any square butter biscuits such as Marie or Australian Nice biscuits)
4 sachets of Orley Whip (you can use 500ml of cream)
2 tins (375gr each) of caramel condensed milk (or Dulce de Leche). Click here to see how you can turn sweetened condensed milk into caramel condensed milk.
3 Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars, crumbled into little pieces (You can use 110gr of any type of chocolate that crumbles well).

Method:

1.    Beat the Orley Whip/Cream with an electrical mixer until it has tripled in volume (2-3 min).
2.    Mix in the caramel.
3.    Grease a square dish with butter. Arrange a layer of tennis biscuits, a layer of Orley Whip, a layer of biscuits and continue this (3 or 4 times depending on the depths of your dish) until you finish with a layer of Orley whip mixture.
4.    Sprinkle the chocolate on top. You can also add some of the chocolate into the Orley Whip mixture before layering, if you like.
5.    Place in the fridge or freezer for at least 3 hours before serving.
6.    Enjoy or as the South Africans say…Lecker Bru!

 

5 comments:

mariyana_d said...

Hey, Stella, this one really looks amazing but I don't think I can find the ingredients in my country. Don't know what to do (worried).

Baked In Love said...

Mariyana. What country are you living in? Check the recipe that I posted - most things you should find: Cream, butter biscuits, milk chocolate and as for makin caramel condensed milk (dulce de leche), all you need is a can of condensed milk. Check out this website: http://www.milk.com/recipes/dessert/dulce-de-leche.html
It tells you exactly how to turn sweetened condensed milk (which you can find in most countries) into caramel sauce.
Hope this helps! Let me know how you go :)

Carman said...

Stella! You made my day!
What a word - Pudding! Yay!
Miss your beautiful self....
I am sufficiently inspired and will be baking today! Much love, will be thinking of you the whole time! <3
Love Carms

Baked In Love said...

My dear Carman. Pudding definitely comes from you! I bet you baked something lovely - I love when a few pictures and words can inspire. Sending lots of love from Brussels!

mariyana_d said...

Dear Stella,
thank you for the ideas of how to make dulce de leche. I am sorry i am so late with my reply.
I am so keen on trying sth that is not typical bulgarian. I love to experiment. I find the idea of cooking sth that comes from far away really fascinating. Preparing the peppermint crisp fridge tart was my short travel to SA.
I strictly followed your istructions and had quite a success with dulce de leche, but maybe I made a mistake when mixing it with the whipping cream. I say so because my pudding didn't look like your at all. That's why I didn't take pictures this time. BUT I have to admit that the dessert was very rich in taste! Extremely delicious!!! My brother simply loved it (and ate it in no time)!
So, Stella, I hope you're not disappinted in your follower :)))
Next time I will do better!
Keep posting recipies from all over the world. I love your blog!
Mariyana

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio